Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Tickets for a Prayer Wheel


One thing we've got plemty of
here on the continents
is soil. Out of the soil
the plants are taking substance, edges,
like a tomato moving on its stake,
ten punds of tomatoes, and the ground
blowing them up like balloons.
We walk on the soil
here on the continents
among the plants, and eat.

You tell me your dream
and I'll tell you mine.
I dreamed I woke in a garden.
Everywhere trees were growing;
everywhere flowers were growing,
and otters played in the stream, and grew.
Fruit hung down.
An egg at my feet
cracked, opened up
and you stepped out,
perfect, intricate lover.

let the phonering,
seal a typed letter,
say to the girl in the courtyard,
"I never saw him before in my life,"
call a cab, pull on gloves,
and leave. And leave you,
and leave you with the bill.

I love with my hand, not my heart.
When i draw your face,
my fingers trace your lips.
Crossing a page, my hand keeps
contours; I know that art
isedges.
I touch when I type.
With every finger's tip
I travel the weave of the given.
Hand me a pencil,
cut off my head,
and I will draw you heaven.

-Annie Dillard

No comments: