Thursday, January 10, 2013

Heroism happens when you make it happen

For the longest time I was watching Smallville. Not necessarily because it was  wonderfully written or amazing acted but perhaps because it is a coming of age story and more so that is is a story where so many people depend on a hero.

Truth be told we are all continuing a coming of age story daily. Though some of us believe we have arrived at what we call "adulthood" and no longer look to the moment when we will arrive. Daily I learn, change, grow, make decisions that not only vitally effect my life, but the lives of not quite countless (but they would be hard to count) others. There are so many moments where my decisions either make or break peoples motivation, aspiration, sometimes survival. I choose to not believe that acts are random or coincidental  but almost every moment happens for a reason; if not for a reason to an effect. 

Throughout my years of interacting with people with the goal of helping them in some form or another, there are often times where I see no positive effect. I, however, know that everyone needs a hero. I also know that that hero ultimately is Jesus Christ. If I can be the moment of hope for one person that is what I will do. I don't shoot burning fire from my eyes, but I do shoot the fiery love of God into peoples hearts. It only takes a moment.

Yesterday I was visited by a young man who I first met when he was fifteen years old. He was disrespectful to adults, dangerous to his peers, and unpredictable. There were times where I had to encourage him to not cuss out a peer, not ambush another with a lead pipe, or stop choking his girlfriend. Now he is 20. He told me simply that he wouldn't have made it (life) without me. He showed me his autobiography put to music on YouTube  It is not a nice story, not a pretty but it is his story of survival and keeping on. His Autobiography is actually pretty awful. But truth is he is here. I am not saying I saved him; I am saying I cared for him, never gave up on him, and prayed for him.

Thinking of where I grew up in China Twp., spending most of my childhood playing in the woods or working at the restaurant I can only think that I could have ended up anywhere, but where I am today.

A quote from Smallville's Braniac: "A hero is made in the moment, not from questioning the past or fearing what's to come."



No comments: